In the spring of 1928, the Fire Underwriters Association persuaded the Penn Wynne-Overbrook Hills Civic Association to form a "Volunteer Fire Company" as the community was starting to grow. The fledgling organization purchased one truck, a used, chain-drive Brockway pumper truck and recruited a few zealous volunteers to become firefighters. This pumper was housed in a private garage near the intersection of Haverford & Manoa Roads, just down the street from the present fire house.

In the spring of 1929, the group was detached from the Civic Association and formed their own organization known as the Penn Wynne-Overbrook Hills Fire Company, Inc. At the same time, the new Board of Directors of the company sold the Brockway pumper and purchased a new American LaFrance pumper truck and a community roof siren alert system.

In 1931 the Board purchased ground and erected the company's fire house at Rock Glen & Manoa Roads, where it is still located. The new fire house not only housed the new pumper, but provided a meeting room which also doubled as a classroom for the training of the new firefighters.

 

Comparison of the firehouse prior to renovation (left) from a 1950 archive picture,
and a present day (right) look of the firehouse as it appears today.

(Click pictures above to enlarge)

In subsequent years, as the community and the need for fire protection grew, the building was enlarged to hold three trucks (two pumpers and one ladder truck). Other improvements added during this expansion included sleeping quarters for 24-hour coverage by paid firefighters as well as further improvements to the meeting rooms.

Throughout the years, apparatus has changed, equipment has been replaced, and the building has been modified, but one thing has remained the same: The Penn Wynne-Overbrook Hills Fire Company will always be here to continue serving the residents of our community.


Copyright © 2009 - Penn Wynne Fire Company
All Text, Pictures, and Content Provided by:
Penn Wynne - Overbrook Hills Fire Company
1440 Manoa Road
Wynnewood, PA 19096


Web Hosting Provided by

www.usadomains.com



Support PWFC
#1950